Sunday, January 15, 2012

a January Sunday

It is a cold, but sunny Sunday afternoon where we have fresh snow on the ground and beautiful blue skies overhead.
The house is quiet right at this moment as everyone is on bed-rest. Shane came home from church this morning with the onset of a migraine so he has gone off to bed. The girls are having their normal naptime and Seth was told to read in bed and try to sleep as he has gotten the cold too. Part of me would love to nap as I stayed up very late writing last night since Shane was at Joel's house watching a UFC fight night leaving the computer free and the house quiet. But nothing gets done when I lay down and the slightest sounds disturb me and ruin my attempts at drifting off. So instead I make some tea and munch on the rationed sweets I'm allowing myself during this scratchy throat thing which are some Pepperidge Farm cookies brought back from the States. They are mint Milano, a variation on the Milano cookie that my Mom always liked. I was just thinking as I helped myself to the last two cookies in the paper cup how glad I am that after all these years, Pepperidge Farm still packages their cookies in the same vertical paper bags with levels of cookies nestled in paper baking cups, one on top of the other. It occured to me to wonder if they hand pack those bags or they are done by careful packing machines. Then I thought of how many bags they must produce and clearly it must be done by machine. After watching several episodes of Undercover Boss it is amazing to see the complex machinery that runs America's production lines. The episodes sometimes remind me of when Mr. Rogers would take you to factories to show how stuff is made and those were always my favorite ones.
I put some ribs in the crockpot this morning and made some rice in the rice cooker and added steamed and seasoned broccoli to make a yummy Sunday dinner. Too bad Shane's migraine was just getting underway as I know he would have seconds. But there is plenty of leftovers for him to have more once he feels better.
Seth is up from his imposed bed rest and is doing some maze work in front of the quartz heater. He is anxious to play Wii and I am not. Guess who wins? :)
I'm sleepier than I thought so perhaps a quick rest here on the couch will refresh me. The house is clean and the dishes are done so I can afford a few minutes without worry.

No comments: