Thursday, January 12, 2012

the beginning of the middle



This is a new space specifically designed to leave day to day memories of the moments that pass in the regular rhythms of each day but are forgotten the next morning as new ones take their place. I was inspired to do a better job recording the mundane when I read these words from Alicia Paulson at Posie Gets Cozy:

I was struck by something Amy said the other day about documenting and organizing life as a way of participating in it (she said it much better, as you'll see). It would not in a million years occur to me to take a picture of my cabinet. But as I snapped this one, I remembered how my dad always encouraged me to take pictures of the places I live in. (Actually, I think he was more yelling at me for not having any pictures of somewhere that I'd lived.) But I think he was just talking about how to . . . acknowledge . . . and mitigate . . . the fleetingness of time and the unreliability of memory.

My memory is proving to be very unreliable and I don't want to lose the stories and memories as the weeks pile up into years. So I will post the everyday stuff that may not mean much to you, but is part of my life now and forever.
Right now, I have a scratchy throat and Kate has some swollen infected eyes. I have spent the day with Anne of Green Gables The Sequel movie playing in the background as I browsed the internet and took care of Kate's eyes amongst other necessary tasks. As my throat is sore and my sinuses are hurting, I simply had no thoughts of trying to do our regular lessons today since I do a lot of reading and talking with Seth.
It occurred to me a day ago when I was looking for something inspiring and beautiful to read on the internet that I should go to the beginning of two of my favorite blogs(Posie Gets Cozy and Lanier's Books) and read from the beginning which for both is way back in 2005. Good times.
The weather changed from freezing rain to snow in the afternoon and Seth went out and shoveled the walkway at lunchtime doing a wonderful job. I told him that Daddy couldn't have done it better.
I am starting to mind the winter darkness, especially in the morning as I find it is hard to get motivated until the sun is really up. I'm also minding my nearsightedness more than I remember so often I put in my contacts before I even get my shower.
As I write, a new sight is unfolding and taking some getting used to: Kate walking around the corner from the hallway into the living room. Granted she fell before she actually crossed the threshold, but she's spending much of her day taking steps and practicing. By spring, she will be able to walk outside with us and how different her play will be then!



We have our birdfeeder out in the cedar tree for the birds and those rascal squirrels who take more than their fair share. Yesterday I grabbed the camera and tried to get some good pictures of all the little birds swarming around the feeder.

I am determined to figure out what all the different little birds are this year. One has yellow around his throat and neck and a very small one seems to have red and brown around his. The star of the show is definitely the cardinal. His red markings are so cheerful at this time of the year and the white snow is the perfect backdrop for him.
I finished reading The Phoenix and the Carpet by Edith Nesbit earlier this week. It is a sequel to Five Children and It which I do not have yet. I do struggle a bit with the fantasy nature of some of her novels. It's like I'm saying, "really, that's how you want the story to be like?".
As I am trying to read through all the children's classics that I have never read as a child, I picked Pollyanna to start next. Oh, I am loving that little girl! Of course the story is somewhat predictable, but I like how it highlights character flaws and how a heart of thankfulness can change a person for the better. Pollyanna's heart of thankfulness is contagious to those unhappy souls around her and even to those reading her story.

No comments: