Monday, August 5, 2024

New Brunswick Day 2024

Shane and I went up alone to harvest the beleaguered garlic bed at the rural property two ferries away. The first ferry is about 6 kilometers from our house (and can be seen from our third floor loft room) and runs two ferries at a time so the wait is usually not that long for the short crossing to the peninsula. Today we were able to drive right on to the ferry on our side as the last car without any wait at all.  Then it's about a 15 minute drive to the next ferry across a wider river that only has one ferry. We waited for only about 4 minutes with a motorcycle crew and plenty of other vehicles with various greetings passing between drivers coming and going. The local farmstand and ice cream shop was busy with kayakers and locals on this summer holiday.
As we started the long crossing, the anchored boats on both sides of the river bobbed up in down in the bay water. As we approached the other side, I strained to look over at a friend's anchored sailboat seeing a figure in swimming trunks moving about on its deck. While I was trying to decide who the figure was, we were ready to disembark and as we drove off the ferry, who is waiting in line to get on, but the very friend whose sailboat looked occupied. Shane and I waved hello through our open vehicle windows and the cheerful greeting was passed back immediately.
How fun to see friends just like a local.  It made me realize how much living here again has felt like coming home even though I wasn't born and raised here. I don't know who we saw on his sailboat but with a large, grown family living nearby chances are it was a relative of his. I've been on that boat two summers ago and it was my first time sailing. He let all of us take a turn steering up and down the bay and it was definitely my Swallows & Amazons moment!





 After I cleared out the garlic bed and the plastic chicken wire protecting it, Shane cleaned up the overgrown grasses and wildflowers in and around the fence posts and garden bed.  I picked a couple of the wild blackberries that Shane pointed out were growing after I had lamented that there were no wild raspberry bushes on the property. I had no ill-effects from the berries so we must have identified them correctly as edible. Phew!
The large oak trees have started dropping their green acorns so autumn feels close at hand.



No comments: