Sunday, October 14, 2012

October rain

It is a chilly and rainy autumn Sunday afternoon and I find myself with little ambition to prepare our lesson work for the coming week, which is unusual so instead I am spending time on the web visiting the blogs of real friends and virtual acquaintances whose life stories I enjoy reading.  Even my books hold no allure today as I would likely drift off into a nap that would abruptly end too soon by some little person needing me.
So I sit and write and record this day as an example of all the others that have passed with no written recognition.
I just bit into a Macintosh apple and surprised myself by how enjoyable the sweet-tart juicy taste fills my mouth. This time of year, Honeycrisp are my apple of choice, but my frugal side held back at the price per pound, hoping I might find them somewhere else for a less expensive price.  Now I wonder why I didn't just splurge since their availability is limited to just a few short weeks in our area.
I experimented with soup last night for dinner and while it won't become one of our family favorites, it was tasty, hot and filling.  It was a modified version of the Mennonite Girls Can Cook's Green Bean Soup based on the leftover pieces of ham from another meal.  The fresh green beans were tastier and sweeter than the frozen ones I used to buy and certainly held their green color better.


This week I need to try to get our oven fixed to I can bake pumpkin gingerbread muffins, chocolate chip banana muffins and pumpkin chocolate chip muffins and many other delicious things my mouth is watering for. I have no idea what the outcome will be, but the repairman I spoke to almost two weeks ago was very kind and helpful, so in the end, a properly heating oven is what I will be thankful for.


No comments: